Maryland Fried Chicken With Cream Gravy
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (2- to 2 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 cup milk
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a plastic or paper bag; shake to mix. Place 2 or 3 pieces of chicken in bag; shake well. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken. Reserve 2 tablespoons seasoned flour for gravy.
- Heat 1/2 inch of oil in a large skillet to 325°; add chicken. Cover, and cook 7 minutes. Turn chicken; cover, and cook an additional 7 minutes. Reduce heat; drain off oil, reserving 2 tablespoons oil and chicken in skillet. Add water to skillet; cover and continue cooking over low heat 20 minutes or until tender. Drain chicken on paper towels; transfer to a warmed serving platter
- Add butter to pan drippings, and melt. Scrape sides of skillet with a wooden spoon to loosen browned crumbs. Gradually add reserved flour mixture, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Serve gravy with chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes