- 1 (3- to 4-pound) corned beef brisket, trimmed
- 1 chile pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 new potatoes, unpeeled
- 6 whole boiling onions
- 4 stalks celery, cut into1-inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, scraped and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium cabbage, cut into wedges
How to Make It
Place brisket in a large Dutch oven with water to cover; add spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until brisket is tender.
Add potatoes, onions, celery, and carrots; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add cabbage; cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Remove brisket to a warm serving platter; cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Remove vegetables from cooking liquid; discard cooking liquid and bay leaf. Place vegetables on platter with sliced brisket.