- 1 (3 1/2- to 4-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 fresh celery leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove chicken from broth; cool. Strain broth, and set aside.
Remove chicken meat from bone; dice and place in a 10- inch cast-iron skillet. Pour 1/2 cup broth over chicken. Set remaining broth aside.
Combine eggs, milk, 1 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 cup butter; beat until smooth. Pour over chicken in skillet. Bake at 375° for 1 hour. Cool and cut into wedges.
Cook remaining broth over high heat until reduced to 2 cups. Stir in 1/2 cup flour. Add parsley, 2 tablespoons butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Spoon gravy over pudding.