Mary Stagg's Cornbread Dressing
Community Recipe from
- 2 box(es) Jiffy Cornbread Prepare as directed on box
- 6-8 slice(s) whole wheat bread toasted
- 2-2.5 pound(s) ground chuck sauted & browned
- 2-2.5 pound(s) ground pork sauted & browned
- 4 cup(s) onions chopped
- 1/2 bunch(es) celery chopped
- 1 cup(s) parsley chopped
- 1 bell peppers chopped
- salt, pepper, Tony's to taste
- 2 teaspoon(s) garlic crushed
- 1 envelope(s) Lipton onion soup
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) thyme
- 1 teaspoon(s) sage
- 6 eggs
- 1 stick(s) butter
- 3 bunch(es) green onions chopped
- 4 cup(s) chicken broth
- 2-6 cup(s) water as needed
- Crumble cornbread & toast together, add sage & thyme. Add butter to cornbread mixture.
- After meat is browned, add onions, celery and bell pepper and cook down. Add onion soup envelope & stir. Add chicken broth and simmer for about 30-45 minutes. Use kitchen bouquet if not brown enough.
- Combine cornbread & meat mixtures. Add water as needed until the right consistency (may be a little soupy). Add beaten eggs. Start w pour and add more if you think you need it. Add 3 bunches of green onions & 1/2 bunch parsley. Add Tony Chachere's seasoning, black pepper & salt to taste. Add more sage, etc if needed at this time.
- Pour into 13 x 9 casserole dish and bake at 350 until set 45-90 minutes. Should remain moist.
- NOTE: Can also add drained chopped oysters. We usually make 1/2 w oysters and half without. May need to add more bread if too soupy.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by rssteil1 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes