Martina's Energy Balls
"I make these from a mixture of figs, nuts, sesame seeds, and oatmeal--uncooked and organic," says tennis star Martina Navratilova. "They keep me going at matches, where sometimes you still find players drinking sodas, of all things, and I snack on them before and during a workout." Prep and Cook Time: about 15 minutes. Notes: Use any kind of nut you like--almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, pine nuts. Although Navratilova likes her nuts raw, we thought they were good toasted too.
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup plain (not unsweetened) soy milk
- Unsweetened flaked or shredded dried coconut
- 1 cup regular (
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup nuts (see Notes), chopped
- 4 dried figs, chopped (soak in water if necessary to make them pliable)
- 1. Bring honey and soy milk in a medium saucepan to a boil over high heat; boil 1 minute. Set aside. Put coconut on a plate or in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- 2. In a food processor, pulse oats, sesame seeds, nuts, and figs until finely ground. Add to honey mixture in saucepan and stir together. Wet your hands with water and roll 1-tbsp. portions of mixture into balls; then roll in coconut.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note