- 1 (15-ounce) package golden raisins
- 1 (10-ounce) package currants
- 2 (4-ounce) packages chopped candied orange peel
- 2 (4-ounce) packages chopped candied citron
- 3/4 cup chopped candied lemon peel
- 1/2 cup candied red cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup candied green cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup candied angelica, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 cups butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sherry
- Candied red cherries
- Angelica (optional)
How to Make It
Combine first 9 ingredients; stir well. Let stand overnight.
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon juice.
Combine flour, mace, and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sherry, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix well after each addition. Stir in reserved fruit mixture.
Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
Spoon batter into a wellgreased and floured 10-inch tube pan. Place a large pan of boiling water on lower oven rack. Bake cake at 350° for 20 minutes; reduce temperature to 325°, and bake an additional 1 hour and 40 minutes or until cake tests done.
Cool cake completely in pan. Remove from pan, and garnish with candied red cherries and angelica, if desired.