- 1/4 pound salt pork, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (3- to 3 1/2-pound) broiler-fryer, cut up and skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice (optional)
How to Make It
Cook salt pork in a small skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels. Chop finely and set aside, reserving drippings in skillet.
Sauté onion in drippings 3 to 5 minutes. Combine salt pork, onion, water, chicken, salt, allspice, and cloves in a Dutch oven. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from juices, and keep warm.
Place flour in a small skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned. Stir in sherry, catsup, and parsley; add to pan juices, stirring until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Strain gravy to remove salt pork and onions.
Return chicken and gravy to Dutch oven, and heat thoroughly. Serve over hot cooked rice, if desired.