- 1/4 pound salt pork, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- Dash of red pepper
- 1 quart cold water
- 6 whole allspice
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 Holland Rusk biscuits
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 (6 1/2-ounce) cans chopped cooked clams, undrained
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make It
Cook salt pork in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp. Remove salt pork and discard; add onion to drippings in Dutch oven, and sauté until tender.
Add potatoes, tomatoes, red pepper, and water. Place allspice and cloves in a small cheesecloth bag. Tie securely, and place spice bag in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
Soak biscuits in milk until all liquid is absorbed; add toast and clams to Dutch oven, stirring well to break up toast. Simmer an additional 15 minutes.
Remove spice bag and discard; season chowder with salt and pepper.
Ladle chowder into individual serving bowls; serve warm.