Marinated Zucchini and Yellow Squash Salad
More From Health
- Calories: 159
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 9g
- Carbohydrate: 14g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 271mg
- Calcium: 205mg
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3 zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 yellow squash (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1. Combine vinegar, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt until sugar dissolves. Trim ends of zucchini and squash; cut into thin ribbons with harp-shaped peeler. Add to vinegar mixture. Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight.
- 2. Bring a small pan of water to a boil; add garlic. Remove with a slotted spoon after 1 minute. Rinse under cold water; set aside. Add basil to boiling water; immediately remove and rinse under cold water. Reserve 1 tablespoon of cooking liquid. Transfer garlic and basil to a food processor, and add lemon juice, olive oil, reserved water, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Process until smooth.
- 3. Drain squash, and divide among 4 plates. Top with cubed mozzarella, and drizzle with basil oil.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note