We really liked this! I had no problems with splattering, but I only used 1/2 TB oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. I added sambal oleek (chili paste) to the marinade and let the tofu sit in the marinade about six hours. Instead of asparagus & white rice, I made stir-fried baby bok choi with ginger and a little soy-sake mixture & short-grained brown rice. The portion size is a bit small unless you don't eat much. For hearty eaters, teenage boys, etc. I think this serves 3 rather than 4.
Marinated Tofu with Sticky Rice and Asparagus
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 480
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 15.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 7.8g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 64g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 15.1mg
- Sodium: 907mg
- Calcium: 290mg
- 2 (16-ounce) packages firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/3 cup sake (rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanut or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 pound asparagus spears (about 24)
- 3 cups hot cooked sticky rice
- Cut each block of tofu crosswise into 6 slices. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer in a large nonstick skillet; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer in a shallow dish. Combine hoisin sauce and next 6 ingredients (hoisin sauce through garlic), and stir with a whisk. Reserve 1/2 cup hoisin mixture, and pour remaining hoisin mixture over tofu, turning tofu to coat. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat in skillet; add half of tofu and marinade. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Repeat procedure with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining tofu.
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus. Steam asparagus, covered, 5 minutes. Place 6 asparagus spears and 3/4 cup rice on each of 4 plates; arrange 3 tofu slices and 2 tablespoons reserved hoisin mixture on each plate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes