Marinated Shrimp with Capers
Yield: 8 to 10 appetizer servings
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp
- 1/4 cup pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 (4-inch) celery ribs with leaves
- 1 large purple onion, thinly sliced
- 8 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons capers, undrained
- 2 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- Bring 6 1/2 cups water to a boil; add shrimp and next 3 ingredients. Cook 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Drain shrimp, and rinse with cold water.
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Place in a 13- x 9-inch dish. Top with onion slices and bay leaves.
- Stir together oil and next 5 ingredients; pour over shrimp mixture. Cover and chill 4 to 8 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- Note: Claudia cools and serves the shrimp in an attractive ice bowl. Simply stack two bowls, one slightly smaller than the other, and weigh down the center with a heavy can. Fill the outer bowl with water and sliced lemon. Freeze. Remove the can and both bowls. Place ice bowl on a plate, and fill with shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note