We thought this was one of the best chicken breast recipes ever! I added a bit of chopped basil and a splash of tequila to the marinade mix, put the chicken in it before work, and cooked when I came home. That means the chicken marinated about nine hours. I used a Lodge cast iron grill pan and mango that's soft and already cut up from one of those little Del Monte chopped fruit cups that you can buy in the produce section. Also added a little bit of chopped habanero pepper because we like the heat. Served with black beans warmed in a tablespoon or two of salsa verde and corn on the cob. Great recipe!
Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast with Watermelon-Jalapeno Salsa
Sweet watermelon perfectly complements the earthy spices—oregano, chili powder, and cumin— used to marinate juicy chicken breasts.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 1 cup salsa)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 304
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 40.7g
- Carbohydrate: 15.9g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 540mg
- Calcium: 44mg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed seeded watermelon
- 1 cup (1/2-inch) cubed peeled ripe mango
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper (about 1 small)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator up to 4 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- Place chicken on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 5 minutes on each side or until done. Combine watermelon and remaining ingredients. Serve watermelon mixture with chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note