Marinated Grilled Calamari
Photo: Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 2 pounds cleaned calamari (squid), tubes and tentacles separated but whole
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chile flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 loaf crusty bread such as ciabatta, cut in half horizontally
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine calamari, garlic, chile flakes, parsley, 1/3 cup oil, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Chill, stirring often, 1 to 5 hours.
- 2. Pour calamari and marinade into a colander over a bowl. Brush marinade over cut sides of bread; grill on each side over high heat (450° to 550°) until grill marks appear, 3 to 5 minutes. Cut into slices.
- 3. Grill calamari tubes, turning once, just until firm, 3 minutes. Meanwhile, using tongs, drop tentacles in clumps onto grill just to firm up, then spread out to cook evenly, 4 minutes total. Put calamari in a dish and drizzle with remaining oil, lemon juice, and salt. Serve with bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes