Marinated Grilled Calamari
Photo: Thomas J. Story
More From Sunset
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 2 pounds cleaned calamari (squid), tubes and tentacles separated but whole
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chile flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 loaf crusty bread such as ciabatta, cut in half horizontally
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine calamari, garlic, chile flakes, parsley, 1/3 cup oil, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Chill, stirring often, 1 to 5 hours.
- 2. Pour calamari and marinade into a colander over a bowl. Brush marinade over cut sides of bread; grill on each side over high heat (450° to 550°) until grill marks appear, 3 to 5 minutes. Cut into slices.
- 3. Grill calamari tubes, turning once, just until firm, 3 minutes. Meanwhile, using tongs, drop tentacles in clumps onto grill just to firm up, then spread out to cook evenly, 4 minutes total. Put calamari in a dish and drizzle with remaining oil, lemon juice, and salt. Serve with bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This