We really like beets and are always looking for new recipes. This one is not a keeper. It should be called onion relish with a few beets. The amount of shallots and onions totally overwhelmed the beets. Perhaps using only 25% of the shallots & onions would be better. We are not likely to try this one again. The duck breast was good.
Marinated Duck Breasts with Shallot and Beet Relish
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
The shallots and sweet onion pair well with earthy beets in this sweet-sour relish. You can use chicken thighs in place of duck, and quartered regular beets for the baby beets.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 duck breast half and 1 1/4 cups relish)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 41g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 182mg
- Iron: 7.9mg
- Sodium: 764mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless duck breast halves, thawed and skinned
- 14 ounces baby beets
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound small shallots, peeled and quartered (about 15)
- 2 cups chopped Oso or other sweet onion
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Rosemary sprigs (optional)
- To prepare duck, combine the first 9 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal and chill 2 hours; turn bag occasionally. Remove duck breast halves from bag. Reserve marinade; discard rosemary.
- To prepare relish, leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and cool. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Coarsely chop beets.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in reserved marinade and wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Add broth; cook 6 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat. Stir in beets, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Sprinkle duck with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat a large nonstick grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add duck; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with relish; garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Marinated Duck Breasts with Shallot and Beet Relish Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes