We really like beets and are always looking for new recipes. This one is not a keeper. It should be called onion relish with a few beets. The amount of shallots and onions totally overwhelmed the beets. Perhaps using only 25% of the shallots & onions would be better. We are not likely to try this one again. The duck breast was good.
Marinated Duck Breasts with Shallot and Beet Relish
The shallots and sweet onion pair well with earthy beets in this sweet-sour relish. You can use chicken thighs in place of duck, and quartered regular beets for the baby beets.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 duck breast half and 1 1/4 cups relish)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 11%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 41g
- Carbohydrate: 32g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 182mg
- Iron: 7.9mg
- Sodium: 764mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) boneless duck breast halves, thawed and skinned
- 14 ounces baby beets
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound small shallots, peeled and quartered (about 15)
- 2 cups chopped Oso or other sweet onion
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Rosemary sprigs (optional)
- To prepare duck, combine the first 9 ingredients in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal and chill 2 hours; turn bag occasionally. Remove duck breast halves from bag. Reserve marinade; discard rosemary.
- To prepare relish, leave root and 1-inch stem on beets; scrub with a brush. Place in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain and cool. Trim off beet roots; rub off skins. Coarsely chop beets.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in reserved marinade and wine; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates. Add broth; cook 6 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat. Stir in beets, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Sprinkle duck with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat a large nonstick grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add duck; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Serve with relish; garnish with rosemary sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Marinated Duck Breasts with Shallot and Beet Relish Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes