This was OK, nothing stellar. Made this as directed, except didn't make the pepper mixture, just the chicken & potatoes. the flavor was nice, nothing exciting though... probably would not make this again.
Marinated Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potato
Photo: William Meppem; Styling: Lynsey Fryers
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 361
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Protein: 29.3g
- Carbohydrate: 23.8g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 508mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 3 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 12 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 small sweet potatoes (about 7 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, vertically sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper strips
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and chicken; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- 2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; cut each potato piece in half crosswise. Add potato wedges to a large pot of boiling water; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Drain. Combine potatoes, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 4. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Arrange on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from grill; keep warm. (Discard skin before serving.) Arrange potato on grill rack; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- 5. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add yellow onion; stir-fry 1 minute. Add bell peppers; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce and vinegar; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Serve bell pepper mixture with chicken and potatoes. Top with green onions.
- Wine note: Aussie-style Marinated Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potato include honey and five-spice, flavors that are often apparent in viognier wines. Australia's Yalumba makes several versions of this aromatic white, including Yalumba Eden Valley 2008 ($19), with exotic spice, supple apricot, and lemon curd flavors. A substantial, almost viscous, body allows this wine to linger on the palate with even the most flavorful foods. --Jeffery Lindenmuth
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note