This was OK, nothing stellar. Made this as directed, except didn't make the pepper mixture, just the chicken & potatoes. the flavor was nice, nothing exciting though... probably would not make this again.
Marinated Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potato
In Australia, the chefs make this dish with pumpkin, which is unavailable right now in the States; sweet potato wedges are a good stand-in.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 thighs, 1/2 cup bell pepper mixture, 2 potato wedges, and 1 1/2 teaspoons green onions)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 361
- Fat: 16.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Protein: 29.3g
- Carbohydrate: 23.8g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 508mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 3 tablespoons less-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 12 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 3 small sweet potatoes (about 7 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, vertically sliced
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper strips
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and chicken; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- 2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise; cut each potato piece in half crosswise. Add potato wedges to a large pot of boiling water; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Drain. Combine potatoes, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 4. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Arrange on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from grill; keep warm. (Discard skin before serving.) Arrange potato on grill rack; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- 5. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add yellow onion; stir-fry 1 minute. Add bell peppers; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce and vinegar; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Serve bell pepper mixture with chicken and potatoes. Top with green onions.
- Wine note: Aussie-style Marinated Chicken Thighs with Sweet Potato include honey and five-spice, flavors that are often apparent in viognier wines. Australia's Yalumba makes several versions of this aromatic white, including Yalumba Eden Valley 2008 ($19), with exotic spice, supple apricot, and lemon curd flavors. A substantial, almost viscous, body allows this wine to linger on the palate with even the most flavorful foods. --Jeffery Lindenmuth
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes