What a lovely Christmas dinner! I made this exactly as written using half cremini mushrooms as suggested. The flavor of the beef is wonderful and the mushroom ragout is outstanding.
Marinated Beef Tenderloin with Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Ragout
Onions and mushrooms naturally complement rich beef. Use cremini mushrooms in the ragout for a more robust flavor.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces tenderloin and about 1/3 cup ragout)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 212
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 25.1g
- Carbohydrate: 12.1g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 502mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (2-pound) beef tenderloin, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups sliced mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine or dry sherry
- 1/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. To prepare beef, combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add beef to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 4 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 3. Remove beef from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place beef on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 35 minutes or until a thermometer registers 135° or until desired degree of doneness. Place tenderloin on a platter; let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- 4. To prepare ragout, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook 15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to medium-high. Add mushrooms, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and thyme; sauté 8 minutes. Stir in Madeira; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add broth; cook 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Remove from heat; stir in 1 tablespoon vinegar, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes