Made this for a potluck and everyone loved it! Super easy and looked wonderful right out of the oven. I will certainly make this again :)
Marian's Savory Vegetable Bread Pudding
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Southern Living
Other: 5 Minutes
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (about 1 lb.)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed ciabatta bread (about 1-inch cubes)
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove and discard ribs from Swiss chard. Rinse with cold water; drain and coarsely chop.
- 2. Whisk together eggs and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in bread and half of cheese.
- 3. Sauté mushrooms and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes. Stir in Swiss chard, and sauté 2 minutes. Fold vegetable mixture into egg mixture. Pour into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until center is set. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Okra-Tomato Casserole: Omit mushrooms and Swiss chard. Substitute shredded Monterey Jack cheese for Parmesan cheese, 1 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning for salt, and green bell pepper for red bell pepper. Reduce pepper to 1/2 tsp. Prepare recipe as directed in Step 2, adding 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and 2 medium tomatoes, chopped, with bread. Proceed with recipe as directed, sautéing 2 cups sliced okra with onion 8 to 10 minutes in Step 3.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables