An absolute favorite salad! The crisp, sweet apple with the slightly tart fennel and the toasted walnuts are delicious. An excellent side with grilled fish, chicken or fish on a hot summer evening.
Marian's Apple-Fennel Salad
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Gala apple, cut into quarters
- 1 medium-size fennel bulb
- 1 celery rib
- 1 (5-oz.) package fresh arugula
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake walnuts in a single layer in a shallow pan 7 to 9 minutes or until toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
- 2. Meanwhile, whisk together olive oil and next 4 ingredients; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Cut apple, fennel, and celery into thin slices, using a mandoline or sharp knife. Toss arugula with a small amount of vinaigrette. Arrange arugula on a serving platter. Toss apple, fennel, celery, and parsley with desired amount of vinaigrette. Top arugula with apple mixture; sprinkle with walnuts and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with any remaining vinaigrette.
- Try This Twist!
- Crunchy Carrot-Beet Salad: Substitute 2 medium-size peeled beets and 2 large carrots for apples, fennel, and celery. To prevent hands from being stained, hold beets with a paper towel or wear rubber gloves while slicing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads