I made this recipe for a grilling party, as written, and people really enjoyed it. I brought along fresh whipped cream and macerated mangoes to add a little moisture, forgetting completely that the syrup takes care of that for you! A wonderful spin on a traditional angel food cake.
Margarita Angel Cake
Stirring a little lime zest and lime juice into angel food cake batter gets the party started. But it's the sweet, boozy glaze of tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and sugar that rocks this angel food cake into the stratosphere.
Tart lime is an ideal match for the sweet cake. Triple Sec, tequila, and lime juice give the glaze the flavor of a margarita. Use wooden skewers to poke holes in the cake large enough to let the glaze soak into it.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 181
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 4.2g
- Carbohydrate: 37.1g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 154mg
- Calcium: 5mg
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated lime rind
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 3 tablespoons Triple Sec (orange-flavored liqueur)
- 3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar, stirring with a whisk.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat until soft peaks form. Add 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in rind, vanilla, and 1 1/2 teaspoons juice.
- Sift 1/4 cup flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in. Repeat procedure with remaining flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert onto plate.
- To prepare glaze, combine 3 tablespoons sugar and remaining ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Pierce entire surface of cake liberally with a skewer; drizzle glaze over cake. Let stand 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note