I made these for Easter... and followed the recipe exactly. There was WAY too much salt in this recipe. The beets were completely inedible, and the eggs were incredibly salty. Will try it again and use much less salt than the recipe calls for.
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 3 medium-size fresh beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup table salt
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 6 large hard-cooked eggs
- Bring beets, water, vinegar, sugar, salt, onion, and dried crushed red pepper to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Crack eggs all over using back of a wooden spoon. Submerge eggs in beet mixture, and let stand 15 minutes. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours.
- How to use them: Take your favorite deviled egg recipe up a notch. Add a festive note to salad niçoise. Halve and top with sour cream and caviar or smoked trout roe. Or, serve picnic-style with sea salt, pepper, and a six pack of cold beer.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This