I am a breastfeeding mom who recently have to give up all dairy products due to my baby's milk allergy. Creamy soups are my absolute favorite, and they are not as tasty when made without cream or other dairy products. This soup was so easy to make dairy substitutions (just added a little almond milk instead of sour cream) and delicious (i ate almost two servings, with no toppings even, before it even made it to the dinner table!). I think the corn milk and adding in a creamy cornmeal thickener really finished it well. Thanks for a phenomenal recipe!
Maque Choux Soup
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Buffey Hargett
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 1 medium-size orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 (32-oz.) container chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons plain white cornmeal
- Toppings: cooked bacon, fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, fresh lime juice
- 1. Stir together first 2 ingredients. Place a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add half of corn mixture; cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to char. Transfer mixture to a 3-qt. saucepan. Add remaining corn mixture to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until vegetables begin to char. Stir in cumin and coriander; cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- 2. Add 2 cups broth to corn mixture in saucepan, and process with a handheld blender 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly smooth. Add remaining corn mixture and 2 cups broth to saucepan; bring to a light boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- 3. Whisk together sour cream and cornmeal in a heatproof bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup hot soup. Add sour cream mixture to soup. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thickened.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note