Maple-Topped Sweet Potato Skins
- 6 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 2 cups walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Garnishes: maple syrup, apple slices, additional nuts
- Pierce potatoes with a fork. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes to one hour or microwave on high 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender; cool.
- Slice each potato in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, keeping skins intact. Mash pulp in a mixing bowl until smooth; add cream cheese, sour cream and one teaspoon each of spices. Mix well and spoon into potato skins. Stir together nuts, brown sugar, butter and remaining spices; sprinkle over top. Place potato skins on an ungreased baking sheet; bake at 400° for 15 minutes. If desired, drizzle with warm syrup and garnish with apple slices and additional nuts.
- Variation: For a savory version, mash the pulp with 1/2 cup grated Parmasean cheese, the finely grated zest juice of 1 orange, 3 teaspoons salt, 2 teaspoons ground pepper and 3 tablespoons butter; garnish with 1/3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Maple-Topped Sweet Potato Skins Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers
- PUBLICATION: Gooseberry Patch
More Recipes for Appetizers
Food & Wine