from the Polly's Pancake Parlor (Sugar Hill, NH) cookbook-my favorite snack ever
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) Grade B or Grade A dark amber pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon(s) butter
- 1-1/2 cup(s) rice crispies or OATMEAL (my preference-see notes)
- Cook syrup to soft ball stage - 234 deg F. While syrup is cooking, heat rice crispes in 250 deg oven. When syrup reaches soft ball add 1T butter and whisk until slightly thickened. Add rice crispies and drop by tablespoon onto waxed paper. They wll harden as they cool. YUM!!
- Note 1: recipe calls for rice crispies - I've been using quick cooking or regular oatmeal - NOT instant. I like it a lot better. I tried cheerios - didn't like very much
- Note 2: Candy thermometer says soft ball is 240 deg F. I've found that to be too hot - nuggets harden while still in the bowl and turn into maple granola - which isn't bad, either. 234 deg -236 deg works best for me- any lower and they don't harden. When thoroughly mixed, there shouldn't be any white oatmeal flakes left - or a syrup puddle in the bottom. If there's extra syrup, I add more oatmeal 1 T at a time.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by cslugocki and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Maple Nuggets Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts