I go back to this recipe every year because it's classic and juicy and easy!
Maple-Brined Turkey Breast with Mushroom Pan Gravy
Photo: Ellen Silverman; Styling: Toni Brogan
Because you're starting with a boneless cut, the brining time is much shorter than if using a whole bird.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 6 ounces turkey and 1/4 cup gravy)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 8.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 55.4g
- Carbohydrate: 9.3g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 164mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 724mg
- Calcium: 34mg
- 3 quarts water
- 1 1/2 cups maple syrup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 (2-pound) boneless turkey breast halves
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 cups finely chopped cremini mushrooms
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup chilled butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Cool completely. Add turkey to brine; cover and chill 4 hours.
- 2. Remove turkey from brine; discard brine. Rinse turkey; pat dry. Loosen skin from breast by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper under loosened skin. Place on a roasting pan coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 4. Bake turkey at 400° for 45 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°. Remove from oven; cover loosely with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove skin, and discard.
- 5. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots; sauté 1 minute. Add mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Add broth; bring to a boil, and cook until reduced to 2 cups (about 20 minutes). Combine flour and 2 tablespoons water in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Stir flour mixture into mushroom mixture; simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring frequently with a whisk. Remove from heat; stir in butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir in parsley and remaining 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper. Serve gravy with sliced turkey breast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Maple-Brined Turkey Breast with Mushroom Pan Gravy Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes