Jazzed up the filling with a dash of nutmeg & cinnamon. Really refreshing pie that is not too sweet. My husband liked it too. Beauty!
Photo: Jan Smith
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 274
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 46.1g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 146mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
- 10 tablespoon ice water
- Cooking spray
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) mango wedges (about 4 medium)
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Cut in 5 tablespoons butter and shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water, stirring just until moist. Divide dough into two equal portions. Gently press each portion into a 4-inch circle on a sheet of plastic wrap; cover. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Unwrap dough; place 1 portion chilled dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit dough into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare filling, combine 2/3 cup brown sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add mango; toss to coat. Add mango mixture to prepared pie plate; sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Unwrap dough; place remaining chilled dough portion on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit dough over mango mixture. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under; flute. Cut several slits in top of dough to allow steam to escape.
- To prepare topping, brush top of dough with milk. Combine ginger and granulated sugar; sprinkle evenly over dough. Place pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet; bake at 425° for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°; bake an additional 30 minutes or until pie is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note