Howard L. Puckett
Fragrant, ripe mangoes work best in this recipe. Check that the flesh yields to gentle pressure as a sign of ripeness.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 soufflé and about 2 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 304
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 6.7g
- Carbohydrate: 50.5g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 162mg
- Calcium: 101mg
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 cups chopped peeled ripe mango (about 2 medium)
- 3/4 cup mango nectar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Position oven rack to lowest setting, and remove the middle rack. Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare the soufflés, lightly coat 8 (8-ounce) soufflé dishes with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
- Place mango and nectar in a blender; process until smooth. Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring with a whisk. Add mango mixture to pan; stir until blended. Bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute or until mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring constantly; remove from heat. Stir in butter. Transfer mixture to a large bowl; cool to room temperature. Stir in egg yolks.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; beat at high speed with a mixer until stiff peaks form (do not overbeat). Gently fold one-fourth of egg whites into mango mixture; gently fold in the remaining egg whites. Gently spoon mixture into prepared dishes; sprinkle tops evenly with macadamia nuts. Sharply tap dishes 2 or 3 times on counter to level. Place dishes on baking sheet; place baking sheet on the bottom rack of a 425° oven. Immediately reduce temperature to 350° (do not remove soufflés from oven). Bake 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the side of soufflé comes out clean.
- To prepare sauce, combine sweetened condensed milk, juice, and water, stirring well with a whisk. Serve with soufflés.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note