Mango and Basmati Rice Salad
Yield: Makes about 10 cups; 7 or 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 232
- Calories from fat: 4.3%
- Protein: 5.5g
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 56g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 25mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- About 1/4 teaspoon fresh-grated or ground nutmeg
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes (about 1 lb. each)
- Edible flowers (optional)
- 1. In a large bowl, stir rice in cool water; drain. Repeat several times until water is no longer cloudy. Drain rice.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, combine rice and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and turn heat to lowest setting. Cook until rice is tender to bite, about 15 minutes; do not stir.
- 3. Pour hot rice into a colander to drain; let stand until warm, about 15 minutes, or cool.
- 4. In a wide bowl, combine orange and lime juices, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Cut peel from mangoes, then cut fruit in small pieces into bowl; discard the pits.
- 5. Pour rice into bowl, mix, and add salt to taste. Sprinkle salad with more nutmeg, then flowers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note