Mango and Basmati Rice Salad
Yield: Makes about 10 cups; 7 or 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 232
- Calories from fat: 4.3%
- Protein: 5.5g
- Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 56g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 25mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- About 1/4 teaspoon fresh-grated or ground nutmeg
- 2 firm-ripe mangoes (about 1 lb. each)
- Edible flowers (optional)
- 1. In a large bowl, stir rice in cool water; drain. Repeat several times until water is no longer cloudy. Drain rice.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, combine rice and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and turn heat to lowest setting. Cook until rice is tender to bite, about 15 minutes; do not stir.
- 3. Pour hot rice into a colander to drain; let stand until warm, about 15 minutes, or cool.
- 4. In a wide bowl, combine orange and lime juices, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg. Cut peel from mangoes, then cut fruit in small pieces into bowl; discard the pits.
- 5. Pour rice into bowl, mix, and add salt to taste. Sprinkle salad with more nutmeg, then flowers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads