Mangels House English Scones
Notes: Jackie Fisher uses her mother's recipe to make these tender, currant-studded scones at Mangels House in Aptos, California. Serve with raspberry jam and butter.
Yield: Makes 4 to 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 276
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 7.6g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 394mg
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- About 2 cups all-purpose flour
- About 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 tablespoon salt
- About 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
- About 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1. In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix currants, brandy, and orange peel. Heat in a microwave oven at full power (100%) just until warm, 15 to 20 seconds.
- 2. In another bowl, mix 2 cups flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry blender, cut in 1/ 2 cup butter until no lumps are larger than 1/ 4 inch. Stir in currant mixture.
- 3. Add 1/2 cup buttermilk; stir just enough to evenly moisten dough. If dough is crumbly, sprinkle a little more buttermilk over mixture and stir. Pat dough into a ball and knead in bowl just until dough holds together.
- 4. Set dough on a lightly buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheet. Flatten into a 1/2-inch-thick round. With a floured knife, cut round in quarters or eighths, leaving wedges in place. Brush dough with about 2 teaspoons buttermilk and sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- 5. Bake scones in a 400° oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack. Serve warm or cool. Break round into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads