I'm always looking for good salad recipes, and this one will now go in my rotation. Very, very good. The almonds toasted for me in half the time listed. Watch close or these will burn. I used Arugula and omitted onion. Great and would make for guests. My kids really liked it, too.
More From Southern Living
Cool Time: 20 Minutes
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 bunch green leaf lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 1 (11-oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1. Place almonds and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, 10 minutes or until sugar coats almonds and turns golden. Spread in a single layer on lightly greased wax paper; cool 20 minutes. Break into pieces, and set aside.
- 2. Combine oil and next 6 ingredients in a jar with a lid. Tightly close lid, and shake well. Chill until ready to serve.
- 3. Toss together lettuce, oranges, onion, and almonds. Shake dressing, and drizzle over salad just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads