- 1 (7-ounce) package fideos pasta*
- 1 1/4 pounds (1-inch-thick) boneless sirloin steak
- 1 (1.25-ounce) envelope taco seasoning mix
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 6 3/4 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 small yellow squash or zucchini, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 (6-ounce) bag fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
How to Make It
Spread pasta in a single layer in a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once. Set aside.
Cut beef into 1/4-inch-thick strips; cut each strip into 1-inch pieces. Coat with taco seasoning mix.
Cook beef, onion, and bell pepper in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium heat, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until beef is browned. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in basil; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds.
Add toasted pasta, broth, and next 3 ingredients. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until pasta is almost tender. Stir in spinach. Sprinkle each serving with shredded Parmesan cheese.
*7 ounces angel hair or vermicelli pasta broken into 1-inch pieces may be substituted for fideos pasta.