This is a perfect German Chocolate Cake. It is moist and chocolatey. I did not have my Mother's recipe I used to enjoy as a child and teenager, but this cake comes just as close as Mom made. The coconut-pecan frosting is to DIE for! I made this cake a couple of weeks ago. The only thing I would suggest is to possibly double the frosting or at least make the full ingredients and increase everything by 1/2 in order to frost the sides of the cake. Even with just the cake layers frosted it was still a HIT. I also decorated the top with pecan halves of which made this cake even MORE delicious. The next time I bake this cake I will make the frosting while the cake is baking to synchronize the cooling time of both.
Mama's German Chocolate Cake
Bake a cake that would make mama proud. German chocolate cakes are known for being rich, indulgent cakes, so enjoy a slice with a glass of milk.
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 48 Minutes
- Parchment paper
- 2 (4-oz.) packages sweet chocolate baking bars*
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- Garnish: chocolate-dipped toasted pecan halves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper, and lightly grease paper.
- 2. Microwave chocolate baking bars and 1/2 cup water in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring once halfway through.
- 3. Combine flour and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 4. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- 5. Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and gently run a knife around outer edge of cake layers to loosen from sides of pans. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 1 hour). Spread Coconut-Pecan Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: We tested with Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate Bar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note