OMG...this is the hands down best German chocolate cake recipe ever....It is perfection! I went right by the recipe and there is nothing I would change. I made it a second time last week and it was once again perfect. People went crazy over it...the only thing I did differently the second time was bake it in 2 layers, then slice these to have 4 layers and I made 1 1/2 recipes of icing. Makes a big beautiful cake. Go that extra mile and toast your pecans and garnish as in photo. I would also suggest cutting this with an electric knife. It makes cleaner slices when you have coconut and nuts in your icing. YUM YUM !
Mama's German Chocolate Cake
Bake a cake that would make mama proud. German choclate cakes are known for being rich, indulgent cakes, so enjoy a slice with a glass of milk.
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 48 Minutes
- Parchment paper
- 2 (4-oz.) packages sweet chocolate baking bars*
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Coconut-Pecan Frosting
- Garnish: chocolate-dipped toasted pecan halves
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease 3 (9-inch) round cake pans; line bottoms with parchment paper, and lightly grease paper.
- 2. Microwave chocolate baking bars and 1/2 cup water in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring once halfway through.
- 3. Combine flour and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 4. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- 5. Beat egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter. Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 6. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and gently run a knife around outer edge of cake layers to loosen from sides of pans. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks; discard parchment paper. Cool completely (about 1 hour). Spread Coconut-Pecan Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: We tested with Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate Bar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note