Tis the season for soup indeed! Whether it be simple chicken soup or any other soup for that matter, check out this excellent new site for foodies, www.imunchie.com. Find soup, dessert, main dish ideas and more! See the recipes I've posted below, and then explore the extensive recipe catalogue to boot! Eat Drink and Be Merry http://imunchie.com/eat-drink-and-be-merry
Mama's Chicken Soup
This is the elixir that cures colds, mends broken hearts, and erases bad days. It isn't elegant, just simple and delicious. You can buy uncooked chicken that's boned and cut up, though you may need to cut it into smaller pieces. For a heartier version, add hot cooked rice or noodles.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 parsnip, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 celery ribs and leaves, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 skinned bone-in chicken breast halves (about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add parsnip and next 6 ingredients, and sauté about 5 minutes. Add broth and chicken, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Remove chicken from bone, and cut meat into bite-size pieces. Return chicken to pot, add lemon juice, and heat through.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note