This is my son's request every year for his birthday cake. It always turns out beautifully, moist and plenty malty.
Malted-Milk Chocolate Cake
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Fonda Shaia
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 325
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Carbohydrate: 50.3g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 261mg
- Calcium: 100mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
- 5 cups powdered sugar (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup malted-milk powder
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped malted-milk balls
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat bottoms of 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray (do not coat sides of pan); line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- Combine butter, vanilla, and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat at medium-high speed of a mixer 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating at low speed just until smooth. Add hot water; beat just until smooth. Add chocolate; beat just until smooth. Reserve 1 3/4 cups chocolate mixture for frosting; cover and chill 2 hours. Add shortening to remaining chocolate mixture in bowl. Beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 1 minute). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Lightly spoon 1 3/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups, level with a knife. Combine 1 3/4 cups flour, milk powder, baking powder, and salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Remove wax paper. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake; sprinkle top of cake with chopped malted-milk balls. Chill 1 hour. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Malted-Milk Chocolate Cake Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Bake
- OCCASION: Autumn, Spring, Summer, Winter, Christmas, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts