Make-Ahead Turkey and Gravy
Community Recipe from
- •1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- •2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- •1 teaspoon pepper
- •1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- •1/4 cup lemon juice
- •1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- •1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- •2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- •2 garlic cloves, minced
- •4-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- •1 tablespoon butter
- •1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- •Pat turkey dry. Sprinkle with poultry seasoning and pepper. Tuck wings under turkey; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- • Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the parsley, lemon juice, thyme, rosemary, lemon peel, garlic and 3 cups broth; pour over turkey. Bake, uncovered, 3 to 3-1/2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with broth mixture. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Let stand for 20 minutes.
- • Remove turkey; skim fat from cooking juices. Slice turkey; cool completely and place in resealable freezer bags. Pour cooking juices over turkey. Seal bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
- •To use frozen turkey: Thaw in refrigerator overnight. Place turkey in a shallow roasting pan; pour remaining broth over turkey. Cover and bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165°.
- • Remove turkey to a serving plate and keep warm. In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14-16 servings (2-1/2 cups gravy).
- Editor’s Note: It is best not to use a prebasted turkey for this recipe.
- Nutritional Facts 8 ounces cooked turkey with 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons gravy equals 479 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 216 mg cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 64 g protein.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by dwanna and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Make-Ahead Turkey and Gravy Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes