So easy and so good. Father, father-in-law and hubby all said how good it was. It was sweet so we didn't need a ton of it, but it was very good and very easy. This is a keeper.
Make-Ahead French Toast with Strawberry Sauce
Our Test Kitchens staff found the light version of this recipe just as delicious as the original. Challah bread is a rich egg bread with a light, airy texture.
Yield: Makes 10 servings
- 1 (16-ounce) challah bread loaf, cubed*
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 (10-ounce) jar strawberry preserves
- Arrange half of challah bread in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan. Sprinkle with cheese pieces, and top with remaining bread.
- Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; pour over bread mixture, pressing bread cubes to absorb egg mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes.
- Heat sliced strawberries and strawberry preserves in a saucepan over low heat, and serve over toast.
- *French bread may be substituted.
- To Lighten: Substitute 1 (8-ounce) package Neufchâtel cheese for cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups egg substitute for eggs, and 4 cups fat-free milk for half-and-half.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch