- 1 (16-ounce) challah bread loaf, cubed*
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 (10-ounce) jar strawberry preserves
How to Make It
Arrange half of challah bread in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan. Sprinkle with cheese pieces, and top with remaining bread.
Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients; pour over bread mixture, pressing bread cubes to absorb egg mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Bake, covered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake 20 more minutes.
Heat sliced strawberries and strawberry preserves in a saucepan over low heat, and serve over toast.
*French bread may be substituted.
To Lighten: Substitute 1 (8-ounce) package Neufchâtel cheese for cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups egg substitute for eggs, and 4 cups fat-free milk for half-and-half.