Makah Ozette Potatoes with Bacon Cream
Photo: Yunhee Kim; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 319
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 7g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 370mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 4 pounds Makah Ozette or fingerling potatoes, halved if large
- 12 ounces red pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 tsp. pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch chives, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 4 ounces bacon, cooked until crisp, then finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Put potatoes in a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and put in a large bowl. Meanwhile, blanch onions in boiling water 2 minutes; rinse to cool, then peel.
- 2. Add onions, butter, oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper to potatoes and stir. Divide between 2 rimmed baking sheets and bake, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and golden brown with crisp edges, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a shallow serving dish.
- 3. Beat crème fraîche and heavy cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir in chives, bacon, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
- 4. Top potatoes with bacon cream and gently stir to coat.
- Make ahead: Through step 1 or 2, 1 day, chilled and covered. Bring to room temperature before continuing recipe, and reheat baked potatoes at 375° for 30 minutes before topping with bacon cream. Bacon cream: Up to 2 hours ahead, chilled.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note