This recipe is so good. I didn't have the onions and it still came out awesome! I also didn't have the potatoes it called for so I just used the smallest russetts I could find. Definitely smaller potatoes would be easier to deal with. The recipe is not very healthy, but for special occasions it is great.
Makah Ozette Potatoes with Bacon Cream
Photo: Yunhee Kim; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 319
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 7g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Sodium: 370mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 4 pounds Makah Ozette or fingerling potatoes, halved if large
- 12 ounces red pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/8 tsp. pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch chives, chopped (1/4 cup)
- 4 ounces bacon, cooked until crisp, then finely chopped
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Put potatoes in a pot of salted water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until just tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain and put in a large bowl. Meanwhile, blanch onions in boiling water 2 minutes; rinse to cool, then peel.
- 2. Add onions, butter, oil, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper to potatoes and stir. Divide between 2 rimmed baking sheets and bake, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and golden brown with crisp edges, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a shallow serving dish.
- 3. Beat crème fraîche and heavy cream in a bowl with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Stir in chives, bacon, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
- 4. Top potatoes with bacon cream and gently stir to coat.
- Make ahead: Through step 1 or 2, 1 day, chilled and covered. Bring to room temperature before continuing recipe, and reheat baked potatoes at 375° for 30 minutes before topping with bacon cream. Bacon cream: Up to 2 hours ahead, chilled.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This