This was a tasty weeknight meal. I usually have mahi on hand in the freezer and am always looking for something different to do with it. The bacon gave it a nice little bit of smokiness. Instead of corn tortillas, we used one large multi-grain tortilla and used a fresh packaged salsa from the store. We had some baked tortilla chips on the side.
Photo: Randy Mayor; Leigh Ann Ross
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 14.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 26.7g
- Carbohydrate: 27.8g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 718mg
- Calcium: 74mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced seeded habanero pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound mahimahi or other firm white fish fillets
- 1 onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons guajillo chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Boston lettuce
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomato
- 2 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. To prepare salsa, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion to pan; cook 3 minutes or until slightly softened. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in tomato; bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Place tomato mixture in a blender; pulse 10 times or until almost smooth. Combine tomato mixture, bell pepper, habanero, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; cover and keep warm.
- 3. To prepare tacos, place fish fillets and onion slices on a broiler pan. Brush both sides of fish and onion evenly with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle fish and onion evenly with chile powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Broil 4 minutes; carefully turn fish. Broil 4 minutes. Remove from oven; flake fish with a fork.
- 4. Place 1/4 cup shredded lettuce on each tortilla. Top each tortilla evenly with fish, onion slices, 1/4 cup chopped tomato, and crumbled bacon. Spoon about 2 1/2 tablespoons salsa on top of each taco.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes