Mackerel Gravlax with Roasted Red Pepper Puree
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Mindi Shapiro Levine
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 95
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 16.3g
- Carbohydrate: 3.1g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 385mg
- Calcium: 28mg
- 2 (10-ounce) mackerel fillets
- 3 tablespoons fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 bunch cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1. Run fingers along the flesh side of fillets; remove any pin bones with a pair of kitchen tweezers. Turn fillets over; score skin by making 4 (1-inch) crosswise cuts in each fillet with a sharp knife.
- 2. Combine salt and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon salt mixture over skin side of each fillet; let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Arrange half of cilantro sprigs in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange fillets in a single layer, skin side down, on top of cilantro. Spread remaining salt mixture over flesh side of fillets; top evenly with shallots and remaining cilantro sprigs. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place a cast-iron skillet or other heavy object on top of fillets to weigh them down; refrigerate 24 hours.
- 4. Remove skillet; set aside. Uncover fillets; drain any accumulated liquid. Carefully turn fillets over; cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place skillet or heavy object on top of fillets; refrigerate 24 hours.
- 5. Preheat broiler. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel. Combine bell peppers, 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, and vinegar in a food processor; process until smooth.
- 6. Remove skillet from fillets; discard plastic wrap. Scrape off and discard cilantro and salt mixture; discard liquid. Using a sharp knife, remove skin from fillets. Cut fillets into 1/16-inch slices. Serve with bell pepper puree.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This