Super dish. Had to use regular balsamic so aside from it coloring the pasta some it was fantastic. An excellent dish for those fresh tomatoes in everyone's garden this time of year! Will definitely make again. Would be great along side burgers, grilled fish or chicken.
Macaroni Salad with Summer Tomatoes
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
White balsamic vinegar, tomato, and basil help this side dish maintain its fresh appeal. Click here for more macaroni salad recipes.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup salad, about 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, and 3/4 teaspoon basil)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 187
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 28.4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 285mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 8 ounces uncooked medium elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 4 cups chopped seeded tomato (about 6 tomatoes)
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1. Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Cover and chill.
- 2. Combine white balsamic vinegar, 1 tablespoon basil, 3/4 teaspoon salt, sugar, and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, stirring with a whisk. Add cooked pasta and tomato; toss well to coat.
- 3. Place bread in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add breadcrumbs and remaining 1/2 teaspoon garlic to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until browned and crisp, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cool. Serve with pasta mixture and sliced basil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads