I love this recipe and I love Gorgonzola cheese. I, also, recommend Roaring 40's blue cheese because it is a little saltier. Roquefort cheese works well too, of course, it is a blue cheese. I, also, use Danish blue which is a little milder and might be better for those who don't like the Gorgonzola. These mentioned are all good in this recipe. Great recipe!
Macaroni and Four Cheeses
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 397
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 20.7g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 624mg
- Calcium: 425mg
- 1 pound uncooked medium elbow macaroni
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Emmenthaler or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place pasta in a large bowl.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- Bring milk and bay leaves to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a small bowl; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Return milk mixture to pan. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, and pepper; stirring until cheeses melt. Pour cheese sauce over pasta; stir well. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine breadcrumbs, sage, and butter in a bowl; toss with a fork. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Macaroni and Four Cheeses Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Casseroles, Side Dishes/Vegetables
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American, Italian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Cheese, Pasta
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Casseroles