I love this recipe and I love Gorgonzola cheese. I, also, recommend Roaring 40's blue cheese because it is a little saltier. Roquefort cheese works well too, of course, it is a blue cheese. I, also, use Danish blue which is a little milder and might be better for those who don't like the Gorgonzola. These mentioned are all good in this recipe. Great recipe!
Macaroni and Four Cheeses
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 397
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 20.7g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 624mg
- Calcium: 425mg
- 1 pound uncooked medium elbow macaroni
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Emmenthaler or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cook pasta in boiling water 5 minutes or until almost tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Place pasta in a large bowl.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- Bring milk and bay leaves to a simmer in a small saucepan. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a small bowl; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until well-blended. Return milk mixture to pan. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add cheeses, salt, and pepper; stirring until cheeses melt. Pour cheese sauce over pasta; stir well. Spoon mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine breadcrumbs, sage, and butter in a bowl; toss with a fork. Sprinkle breadcrumb mixture over pasta mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Macaroni and Four Cheeses Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Casseroles, Side Dishes/Vegetables
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: American, Italian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Cheese, Pasta
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Casseroles