- 3/4 pound dried elbow macaroni
- 2 slices (2 oz. total) whole-wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (12 oz. each) evaporated nonfat milk
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups (3/4 lb.) shredded reduced-fat (made with 2% milk) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- calories 415
- caloriesfromfat 22 %
- protein 25 g
- fat 10 g
- satfat 6.4 g
- carbohydrate 52 g
- fiber 1.9 g
- sodium 532 mg
- cholesterol 34 mg
How to Make It
Cook macaroni in about 2 quarts boiling water just until tender to bite, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, tear bread into 1/2-inch chunks. In a food processor or blender, combine bread, parmesan cheese, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika; whirl until mixture is coarse crumbs.
In 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, frequently stir onion and 2 tablespoons water until onion is limp and begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in flour and remaining 1/2 teaspoon paprika.
Remove onion mixture from heat and blend in milk and broth until smooth, then stir over high heat until sauce boils, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat again, add cheese, and stir until it melts. Add nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste.
Add macaroni to cheese sauce and mix, then pour into a shallow 2- to 2 1/2-quart casserole. Sprinkle with seasoned bread crumbs.
Bake in a 450° oven until crumbs are browned, 3 to 4 minutes.