More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 391
- Calories from fat: 41%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 41g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 418mg
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- 1 pound dried small elbow macaroni
- About 1/3 cup (1/6 lb.) butter or margarine
- 2 cups (1/2 lb.) shredded sharp or medium cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- About 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, cook macaroni in about 2 quarts boiling water just until tender to bite, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain. Return macaroni to pan, off the heat, and add 1/3 cup butter; stir to melt.
- 2. Lightly butter a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese and 1/4 cup bread crumbs over casserole bottom.
- 3. Beat eggs, milk, hot sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to blend. Add to macaroni, along with 3/4 cup cheese, and mix well. Pour mixture into casserole. Sprinkle remaining cheese and bread crumbs evenly over top. Dust with paprika.
- 4. Bake in a 400° oven until top feels slightly crusty when touched, about 20 minutes (about 15 minutes in a convection oven). Add salt to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables