Macaroni salad is made even more tasty with the addition of crispy bacon, crunchy celery and green onion. Serve cold as a yummy side for burgers or bbq.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 231
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Protein: 6.7g
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 8.2g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Sodium: 132mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 slices bacon (8 oz.), chopped
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 12 ounces dried macaroni (2 3/4 cups)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Salt and pepper
- 1. In a bowl, combine sugar and flour.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir bacon often until browned and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Discard all but 3 tablespoons fat from pan.
- 3. Add sugar-flour mixture to drippings in pan over medium-high heat. Stir for 1 minute, then add 1 1/2 cups water and the vinegar. Stir until mixture is boiling, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 4. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, cook macaroni in boiling water, stirring occasionally, until just tender to bite, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and return to pan. Stir vinegar mixture into macaroni. Let cool.
- 5. Just before serving, stir bacon, celery, and green onions into macaroni. Season generously with salt and pepper. For a looser texture, stir in about 1/2 cup water. Pour into a serving bowl.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads