Macaroni and Cheese Primavera
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 10 ounces pasta (penne, ziti or elbow macaroni)
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons soft margarine or butter, divided
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat the oven to 375F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, melt 2 tablespoons margarine in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring often, until tender and translucent. Add the flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Slowly pour in milk, stirring with a whisk to smooth any lumps that form; simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and immediately stir in cheese.
- Drain the pasta and stir into cheese sauce. Fold in the beans and mushrooms. Transfer the mixture to a shallow 2 1/2 - to 3-quart casserole dish. Spoon the tomatoes around edge of casserole.
- Heat remaining 2 teaspoons margarine in a small skillet; add the breadcrumbs and cook until lightly toasted. Sprinkle in the center of casserole. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Servings: 6
- Nutritional Information Per Serving:
- Calories 420; Total fat 28g; Saturated fat 13g; Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 640mg; Carbohydrate 44g; Fiber 3g; Protein 10g; Vitamin A 10%DV*; Vitamin C 15%DV; Calcium 15%DV; Iron 10%DV
- *Daily Value
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CannedFoodFan and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Macaroni and Cheese Primavera Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes