- 1 (8-oz.) package multigrain or whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 2 (8-oz.) blocks 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (10-oz.) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1/2 cup soft whole grain white breadcrumbs (about 1 oz.)
- calories 232
- caloriesfromfat 38 %
- fat 9.5 g
- satfat 6 g
- monofat 0.3 g
- polyfat 0.2 g
- protein 15.6 g
- carbohydrate 19 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- cholesterol 30 mg
- iron 1.3 mg
- sodium 430 mg
- calcium 364 mg
How to Make It
Prepare macaroni according to package directions, omitting salt and butter; drain well.
Place milk and next 4 ingredients in a quart jar; cover tightly, and shake vigorously 1 minute. Stir together milk mixture, cheese, spinach, and macaroni.
Pour macaroni mixture into a 13- x 9-inch baking dish coated with butter-flavored cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs; lightly coat breadcrumbs with cooking spray.
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Note: For testing purposes, we used Barilla Plus pasta and Sara Lee Soft & Smooth Whole Grain White Bread.