- 1/3 cup (1/6 lb.) butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup (4 oz.) salted roasted macadamia nuts, very coarsely chopped
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.), chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 2/3 cups short- or medium-grain white rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- calories 315
- caloriesfromfat 40 %
- protein 5.4 g
- fat 14 g
- satfat 4.9 g
- carbohydrate 42 g
- fiber 0.9 g
- sodium 140 mg
- cholesterol 16 mg
How to Make It
In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add the macadamia nuts and stir until slightly darker brown, about 3 minutes. Scrape from pan into small bowl and set aside.
Add remaining butter, onion, and garlic to pan. Stir often over medium-high heat until onion is limp, about 5 minutes.
Add rice and stir often until grains turn opaque, about 5 minutes.
Add the broth and pepper. Heat to a simmer. Pour the mixture into a shallow 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole; cover tightly.
Bake in a 375° oven until rice is tender to bite, 40 to 45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with nuts and parsley.