Mac and Cheese with Squash
Photo: Antonis Achilleos; Styling: Gerri Williams for James Reps
More From Allyou
Amount per serving
- Calories: 486
- Fat: 19g
- Saturated fat: 10g
- Protein: 22g
- Carbohydrate: 58g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
- Sodium: 386mg
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 12-oz. package frozen cooked squash puree, thawed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons panko
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1. Place a rack in the top third of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Mist a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente, about 7 minutes or as package label directs. Drain and place back in pot.
- 2. In a pan over medium-high heat, bring milk and squash to a simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add mustard, 1/2 tsp. salt, cayenne and Cheddar, stirring until cheese has melted. Stir sauce into pasta and toss until pasta is well-coated. Transfer mixture to baking dish.
- 3. In a small bowl, mix butter, panko and Parmesan; sprinkle over macaroni. Bake until bubbling around edges and beginning to brown on top, about 20 minutes. Turn broiler to high and cook until top is golden and crispy, about 2 minutes, watching carefully to be sure it doesn't burn. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe was previously published in All You, May 2013.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This