Good, but not great.
Mac and Cheese with Roasted Tomatoes
Photo: Jan Smith
The breadcrumb and Parmesan mixture forms a gratin-style topping that adds a light crunchiness. Bake this dish the night before, and reheat single servings in the microwave the next day.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 411
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 22.8g
- Carbohydrate: 49.9g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 638mg
- Calcium: 414mg
- Cooking spray
- 8 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound uncooked multigrain whole wheat elbow macaroni (such as Barilla Plus)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 5 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded extrasharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat foil with cooking spray. Arrange tomato slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle oil over tomatoes. Sprinkle with thyme, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and garlic. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until tomatoes start to dry out.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well.
- Place flour in a large Dutch oven; gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add cheddar, fontina, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes and pasta. Spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine grated Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and paprika; sprinkle over pasta mixture. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes