I've been making this dish since it was first published. It is so easy and is truly a one pot wonder! My son loved it when he was 9, and still does at age 22! I don't use all the low fat ingredients as my family doesn't like it that way. It still turns out perfectly every time!
Mac and Cheese with Bacon and Peas
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 469
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Sodium: 896mg
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- 2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 pound dried elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen petite peas
- 1/4 pound Canadian bacon, cut into thin strips
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh-ground pepper
- Fresh-grated nutmeg
- 1. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, bring broth, milk, and macaroni to a boil. Stir mixture often until the pasta is tender to bite, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Blend cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water until smooth. Stir into pan and continue stirring until mixture boils.
- 3. Add peas and Canadian bacon; mix well and remove from heat. Sprinkle cheese over pasta mixture and stir just until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 4. Spoon into wide bowls or onto plates and sprinkle generously with pepper and nutmeg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes